The Afters and 8000 miles

It's been a busy week...aren't they all. We weren't crazy about the election results but neither were we surprised. Divided government really is the best approach when it results in people actually working together rather than one party having all the control and steamrolling their way through. I've always been a strong supporter of Bush but there are some things about him which trouble me. I watched as his appointee to head the FAA negotiation with our union (NATCA) didn't really negotiate with us at all. In the end, we were forced to accept a contract we never even had a chance to vote on. It's a long story but it showed me a side of this administration which isn't very pretty. In the end, there are other things more important to me than pay raises and such. I still voted a straight Republican ticket more-so as a protest to the pro-abortion candidates.

We saw The Afters at Club 3 Degrees in Minneapolis last night. Rachel brought her friend, Katrina. We went out to dinner before the show and of all places we ended up at Hooters in Minneapolis. The girls were big on this idea and felt like they were really getting one over on us. The food is okay and priced in line with other restaurants with similar menus.

We got to the club an hour before the doors opened. There was nobody else around so I stood out in 33-degree weather to secure the numero uno place in line while the girls waited across the street in a heated entryway. They were laughing at me for standing out there all alone in the cold; that's when I struck my Emperor Penguin pose and told them I was pretending to balance an egg on top of my feet and that I could do this for an hour until the doors opened. You have to have seen March of the Penguins to understand what I'm referring to. When the doors finally opened they told us that the sound checks weren't complete and that we'd have to wait downstairs in the lounge. Great! I wait in line out in the cold for an hour only to be mixed in with all the other later comers and no shot at a good seat. As it turns out when they let us take our seats the manager came looking for me to let me go up first as he'd seen me standing out there. Pretty cool. The girls found places to stand right in front of the stage. They had a great time. The Afters did a fine job too. I've uploaded several videos from the show to my YouTube account

It was a beautiful morning to get out on my bike...a bit chilly but sunny and little wind with not much traffic. This ride put me over 8000 miles on the road for 2006. That was a goal I'd sort of set for myself without really believing I'd actually make it. I can back off now for the year but I'll no doubt keep pressing on when the weather allows me to.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss