Amazing Grace, the Power of Prayer and Where's George?

Good movie alert: Amazing Grace.

I haven't been much for watching movies lately. The Prednisone left me feeling all sorts of fidgety and unable to sit still for very long. I'm better now; more about that later. About the film...Amazing Grace is a very good movie about an antislavery pioneer from the 18th century named William Wilberforce. Wilberforce spent over 20 years trying to change the hearts and minds of the ruling class in Britain who believed it was their right to trade and own slaves. The movie gets its name from the 18th-century hymn, Amazing Grace, which was written by John Newton, the captain of a ship used for transporting slaves from Africa to Europe. Newton nearly lost his life in a storm at sea and prayed to God that if he survived the storm he would change the direction of his life. He would later become a confidant of Wilberforce.

While watching the movie I couldn't help but see similarities between the people of a more ignorant time who supported slavery and the pro-abortion people living among us today. Do you suppose it's possible that in a couple hundred years from now textbooks will write about a time when abortion used to be the law of the land much as slavery is written about in history books today? A new generation will wonder how it was that civilized people ever embraced and vigorously fought for such a thing.

Al Gore stated a few months back that the debate about global warming is over and that science has proved that global warming is real. Can't the same be said of the debate about a developing human life?

Speaking of Al; I think he's a fraud and a hypocrite and I'm disappointed that so many in the media have accepted his theories as fact. It's nice to know that not all the media has been duped. John Stossel gets it. That's not to say that global warming isn't happening; just not the way Al would have us all believe.

I got my medical back to perform my air traffic duties. It was nice to be back in front of the scope again doing a job I love to do. I was a bit concerned with having been away for the past 4 weeks then getting right back into the thick of it during what is historically the busiest travel week of the year. It was nice to have a week of working traffic before I begin working with my trainee again next week.

Coming off Prednisone is always a difficult ordeal as it leaves me feeling tired and in a funk, maybe a bit depressed. That feeling usually stays with me for a month or two. This past Sunday Tammy suggested that we step inside Hosanna's prayer room on our way out of church. I don't know why it is but this difficult part of my life has always been something I feel I need to just deal with on my own. I take my meds and then endure. I pray about all sorts of other things which concern me but not this. That makes no sense. Anyway, we stepped inside the prayer room and were met by a couple guys who offered to pray with us. They asked us what we were seeking prayer for and then we were joined by another man who opened his bible to some scripture in James where it talked about gathering together and calling on God to bring healing while anointing with oil. We did that. They laid hands on me and invited Christ to restore my health in ways that I wasn't even expecting.

I had walked into the prayer room with a heaviness which was weighing me down. 15 minutes later after some serious prayer, I was no longer feeling the heaviness which had been with me for weeks. There was no question that I'd received the healing we prayed for. No doubt people reading this will discount it as the power of suggestion. That's fine. I know better.

I had some spare time on my hands while I was off work this past month and spent some time at a site I used to visit a few years ago: Where's George? It's interesting to see where your bills end up months and years down the road. I sent off $20 worth of $5 bills with the Davannis pizza delivery guy last night. With all the traveling people do during the holidays those bills could find themselves spread out across the country in no time. Tag a few and see for yourself.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss