Feeling the Blues and Bike Theft

My response to the Letter of Reprimand being put in my file at work was supposed to be turned in yesterday but management dragged their feet in getting us some necessary paperwork so they've put off until next week our deadline for responding. My original letter was two pages in length. It's since been pared down to one page as I removed a lot of the opining I'd done in the original. Just the facts.

The letter is all typed and ready to go—like it will matter any.

There is legislation moving through the Senate (H.R. 2881 – FAA Reauthorization Act of 2007). which will hopefully address our lack of contract negotiations with FAA management. There are still many hurdles to overcome before the biggest hurdle of them all: a Presidential veto. Bush has said he will veto the bill if it contains language which is favorable to labor. What a guy.

This is a snippet from a longer statement the Bush administration made with respect to some of the language in the bill..."The Administration strongly opposes the substitute’s proposal to change the way that the FAA and its unions resolve contract impasses. The House bill includes additional, highly objectionable language that would open the existing air traffic controller contract."

The language the administration is concerned about will keep them from failing to negotiate in good faith and imposing whatever they desire on the workforce as is the case now. It's pointless to have negotiations when management simply waits out the clock then declares an impasse. The new language will fix that.

I came home from work on both Monday and Tuesday feeling exhausted. Usually, I'll get on my bike for a couple hours but I was too tired. I hit the couch for an hour nap each day then took the pups walking. Between the hassles at work and the lousy weather, I've not been myself lately. I'm looking forward to some better days in more ways than one.

I left work an hour early today as it was my Friday and I wanted to get a jump on my weekend. Tammy asked me if I was going riding. She was encouraging me to get out and so I did. I told her I'd be gone quite a while as I really needed some time on my bike. She was fine with that. There was a stiff southeast wind blowing at 20-25 mph in advance of a wet system moving our way for tomorrow. I headed in the direction of Hastings then worked my way into Wisconsin through Prescott.

It was tough going out there but I wouldn't realize until putting my bike away after my ride that it wasn't only the wind slowing me down. My back brake had been rubbing on my wheel. How much extra effort it was requiring of me I have no idea but it certainly wasn't helping. Lance Armstrong actually had the same thing happen to him in a stage of the Tour de France so I don't feel so stupid. I had one other mechanical problem out there when my front shifter cable broke leaving me in the small ring in front. That was disappointing because for the remainder of the ride I wasn't able to take full advantage of the tailwind. Ah, so what...I was riding and that's really all that mattered.

It was a good day otherwise as I brought it home in just over 100 miles.

I mentioned in a previous post that I had begun taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help with my knee pain. I can't say that my pain has gone away when I ride but I can say for certain that my knees feel much better. I first noticed it two days after I began taking it. I got out of bed and usually, the first thing I notice is the pain in my knees. It was gone. I'm going to keep using it for the remainder of the riding season to get a better feel for it. The early results are good.

I never carry a lock with me when I ride. The last thing I want to do is add unnecessary (yeah, until my bike is stolen) weight to my bike. Besides, most of the locks I've seen are too bulky. When I'm out riding and I have to run into a convenience store to refuel or use the restroom, I park my bike near the entrance and try to minimize my time inside as much as possible. I probably should consider a small lock as all my riding is done solo and I'm not with a group of guys where there is less chance of bikes being left unattended.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Check this out:

http://www.felcostore.com/order1.jsp?code=F-C7

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss