In Need of Redemption

If you've caught much of the news this week you've no doubt heard about the air traffic control supervisor who fell asleep in the control tower at Reagan National Airport in Washington DC.  I first learned of it when my cousin Deborah posted an article on my Facebook. I was certain the article was wrong when they stated that the lone controller involved was a supervisor. Since when do they work a midnight shift on their own I wondered. I've never heard of that. But sure enough, the article had it right. I would not want to be that person. I'm curious to see what sort of broad-brush the FAA responds with to ensure that this scenario never repeats itself.

I don't typically watch Fox News very often because to me it's much less about the news than it is about propaganda and a right-wing agenda, but I do occasionally check in as I did a couple days ago. The host was talking about the sleeping controller and how in any other field a person with similar responsibilities would be fired and not just suspended. He went on to say that the controllers' union was going to try and prevent that from happening. Say what? Natca (our union) has no reason to involve itself in management issues of this sort but I guess the folks at Faux News couldn't resist a chance to discredit labor.

Speaking of the FAA. It was 29 years ago this weekend that my brother Keith drove with me to Oklahoma City in my 1970 Pinto station wagon for a reporting date of March 28th at the academy. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I was wide-eyed and anxious to begin. It maybe feels like 15 years ago but certainly not 29. I've returned to the state-of-mind where I'm in no hurry for this phase of my life and my career to be over. A contract can have a way of doing that.

Eight weeks of being off my bike came to an enjoyable end yesterday afternoon as I worked through a 49 mile ride with a temp in the upper 20s. It's been a nice break from my bike but I'm once again looking forward to doing some miles.

I don't know what it is about this time of year but if I'm going to have issues with drivers it typically isn't during the summer—it's much more likely to happen during the colder months. The only thing I can figure is that there are a few angry people out there who feel I should limit my cycling to warmer months. I was riding along this section of county road 47 yesterday when a gray pickup truck traveling in my direction crossed over the white line of the shoulder and threw a drink at me. It startled me because there was no other traffic out there and I was well within the confines of the shoulder. But you know what? I didn't flip him off—not that I could have if I wanted to because of the lobster mitts I was wearing but still, it's been years since I've reacted like that. I waved and wished him a good day all the while wondering how it is a person lives in that state of mind?

I need to get back to the glassblowing studio again and make right what I couldn't on Thursday when we were last there. All I can say is that I really sucked when I blew. We'll be back there both Thursday and Friday this week where I'll be looking for a little redemption and I intend to find it.

I still can't get enough of Adele. If I've got to be stuck on somebody I'm fine with it being her.


Comments

Larry said…
Hey Kevin! What kind of a dirtball would throw something at a bicycle rider? I pretty much quit riding quite a few years ago when a pickup truck passing me fired a pistol into the air right alongside me....at least I hope he was firing into the air....if not, he was a very poor shot.....
Kevin Gilmore said…
Hi Larry...I do have to say that out of all the hundreds of thousands of cars that pass me on the road each year it's only ever a very small number (less than 5 typically) that cause me to shake my head and wonder.

Oh, and this guy had poor aim too. He missed.
Lisa said…
How awful Kevin! Glad you are ok! I don't know how people who do things like that can live with themselves...
Kevin Gilmore said…
Thanks, Lisa...yeah, I don't get that either but I was happy for what little room he did give me.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss