There's No Sweeter Guy In My World


I was hoping to get in at least a few more rounds of golf this year but my golf season has come to an abrupt end. Our temps have cooled considerably to where we're hovering around freezing with no relief in the long-range forecast. But even if the weather were to cooperate I still can't play. I crashed my fat-bike at Murphy last week and landed hard on my chest, injuring my ribs on my right side. I think I may have caught my right pedal on something causing me to crash on a part of the trail that's not at all technical. I was down before I had a chance to react. My left leg was cut up as well as my face just to the right of my right eye. I hurried home and cleaned up before Tammy could see me but there was no hiding from her that I'd crashed.

Crashing goes with the territory, especially on the trails.

And if I'm honest with myself I have to admit that I've avoided trail riding for much of the summer because I know there are risks on the trails and I didn't want to be sidelined and have to sit out much of the golfing season. I tried to hit some balls yesterday at an indoor golf simulator as part of a group lesson but I had to quit early. I could tell I was doing more damage to my injured ribs. Between golfing and riding I seem to injure my ribs quite a lot, and it's always around a 6-week recovery. I rode indoors today but I really need to get back on the trails and sharpen my skills there.

Toby turned 14 last August and he's showing his age. He struggles to see, mostly in dim light, and his hearing is all but gone but when we're out walking he's happy to run and run and run. I have to give an occasional tug on his leash to keep him out of storm drains and to make sure he safely negotiates curbs but for the most part, he does well without my help. He'll sometimes be looking for me in the house and he'll walk right by where I'm sitting and not see me. I'll wave my arms to get his attention and that usually works. There is no sweeter guy in my world. Charlie is a close 2nd but he's such a taunter and a dickens—Charlie Dickens as we sometimes call him. He's a precious guy as well.

Steve came by a couple weeks ago and we were able to get the wisteria stained glass lamp hung above the table in the front room. I find it a nice place to plunk down with my laptop, and Charlie enjoys being able to watch the world go by from his new perch. I made the windows in 1994 and they've been displayed there ever since but they were always somewhat hidden away. Now that we've mostly removed the wall separating the kitchen from the front room, they're much more noticeable and I like that. The wisteria lamp used to be above the kitchen table. This is a new and improved place for it. We're more than happy with the new look and the function of the space.

Rachel and Drew went to a Halloween party last weekend dressed as John and Yoko. I told her I had to have a photo for my blog. I think they nailed it! We're looking forward to seeing them in a few weeks. Drew will be playing with his band at a gig in Rochester and they've invited us down to watch them and shoot some video.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss