Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas 2005

I always enjoy this time of year when I’m able to get out on my bike and cheat winter a couple hours at a time. I was able to do that Thursday and I was hoping too again today but with snow lightly falling, it doesn’t look likely.

Rachel and Katrina (from across the street) were out snow sculpting on Friday. I can’t remember the name they gave her but she’s very well made…right down to her chocolate chip smile.

The three of us exchanged gifts Friday night as Rachel’s dad was picking her up Christmas Eve day. So Rachel’s dream of having her own cellphone has finally come true. I’m sure it won’t be long before her little fingers are flying across the number pad as she text messages her friends.

Tammy got me a very nice chair for our den. It has several levers for adjusting it all sorts of ways. I also got some DVDs…Supertramp, Zoolander and Third Day, Live in Concert. Toby and Allie weren’t left out. They got a few stuffed animals and Toby was sure to let Allie know that they were his toys but she could play with them. It’s funny how he’s so possessive of his toys. Allie really doesn’t care much about them but he sure does.

I did just a bit of running around Christmas Eve day taking care of one last item I needed to get. I stopped by Mom’s to take advantage of the warm weather and shovel the ice off her driveway. Mom was busy baking and setting up for later in the day. She put a lot of hard work into making sure none of us would go home hungry. Tim was there and we visited for a bit then went out together and did her driveway for her. For the most part, I had all my shopping done and gifts wrapped well ahead of time. I put the finishing touches on a stained glass cross we made for Mom just before heading out the door for church and then Mom’s.

Tammy and I got to Mom’s around 6:30. We had dinner and opened gifts. Lindsay was going to be there but had to work in Mankato until 9:00pm so she didn’t make it. We all sat around after dinner and talked for a couple hours as nobody was in a hurry to leave. It was good to see Ron doing so well. It was a bit dark for my video camera but I did manage to splice together a couple minutes from last night. Here's a link for you broadband users.

Tammy and I got home and watched the movie, Rabbit-Proof Fence It’s a true story set in the 1930s in Australia about their governments attempt to integrate aborigines into white society "for their own good". I’d never heard of the movie until it was recommended to me by my Netflix account. The recommendation was a good one. 4 of 5 stars.

It’s back to work for me today. Our Christmas tree and other decorations are still up and for some reason I don’t seem bothered by them as I usually am by this time of year. I’ve actually found myself sitting in our living room with only the tree lights on relaxing while I watch the lights slowly fade in and out.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Babe in the Straw,

No comments: