Prom, Dead Sea Scrolls and Crocs?

Tammy has spent parts of the last two weeks working on Rachel's prom dress. They went shopping for one but just as two years ago they didn't see anything worth spending somewhere on the other side of $400 on so they stopped at Joanne Fabrics and found a pattern and some material and got busy.

She's only been to the one other prom and that was done as a favor for a friend. Last year she couldn't make it because it conflicted with her dance recital weekend. She didn't want to miss her senior prom and we wanted to see her go. I think she may have had to talk some guy into going with her or at least that's the way she explains it.

She was telling me how a couple weeks ago at school it was crazy with people trying to arrange prom dates. You need to be sure the person you're asking is going to say 'yes' so there's a lot of behind the scenes maneuvering. She's going with a group of 46 kids and of those 23 couples, only 3 are actually dating. They're renting a bus to drive the entire group to Mall of America for dinner and then to the prom and back to where they started. I don't suppose I imagined that she wouldn't have at least several guys approaching her for senior prom but she's been content to be on her own since breaking up with Josh last fall. Josh is also part of her group.

We got together with some friends from our small group at church Thursday night and met at Cossetta's in St Paul for dinner. From there we headed across the street and down the block to the St Paul Science Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit. The DSS have been dated to around 200 years before Christ and are important because they pretty much remove any doubt about the authenticity of the Old Testament, which before the DSS discovery had only been dated to I think the 9th century.

There's more to the exhibit than just the scrolls and I want to be careful not to minimize their importance but the other artifacts they have on display from the era that the scrolls were written add a perspective that brings even more meaning to the experience.

There are 5 sections of the scrolls on display (actually, there are 15 on site but only 5 viewable at a time as they're rotated) and they come at the end of the exhibit. I would've thought there would be many people with their noses pressed up against the dimly lit glass making it difficult to get a good look at them but I found them very accessible. I got in close and studied the print while trying to imagine what sort of quill pen strokes created the writing; writing that was very legible and neat. It dawned on me that what I was looking at was written possibly hundreds of years before Christ's birth and that thought caused me to pause especially when reading sections of Isaiah 53 originally written 700 years before the birth of Jesus. I'd never been so close to something so historically significant. How the scrolls managed to remain intact and undisturbed for 2000 years is truly a God thing.

I definitely recommend going to see the exhibit if it comes to a city near you.

We had our 4th of 5 glassblowing classes last Wednesday night. I love the classes but having to rush afterwards to get to work for the all night shift is getting tiring. I'm looking forward to finishing our initial instruction so we can schedule time that works with our schedules. Tammy wants to take a secondary glassblowing class beginning in July that meets Thursday nights. Count me in.

I got out for a quick ride yesterday and did my best to dodge the scattered rain showers that dogged me the last half of the ride. I had some help. I had the browser on my Droid dialed in to the local weather radar and it gave me a good idea of what to expect. Did it keep me dry? No. In years past when I was out riding in threatening weather I'd give a quick call to Tammy and have her give me her best interpretation of the weather radar on the Weather Channel. Not to diminish Tammy's efforts but this setup is much better.

I'd never stopped at Tim's house (another controller from work) but I knew he was in the area when I got about 18 miles south and I easily found his place. He's got at least a couple of years worth of projects on his plate but I figured he could spare 20 minutes to give me a rundown of his list from a grassy area where my cleats wouldn't collect any mud.

I've been reading his (now defunct) blog updates on his latest project but they didn't prepare me for how big it is. To repeat a word Rachel likes to use, it's gynormous!

I expected to see Tim in his overalls but the crocks on his feet surprised me. I couldn't imagine any self-respecting hobby farmer wearing crocks but there he was. I told him about a group on Facebook that I belong to: I Dont care How Comfortable Crocs Are, You Look Like A Dumbass. He laughed. I pedaled away and hadn't even gotten out to the main road when it struck me that I missed a good photo-op with Tim in his crocks.

Improving on a failed attempt from the previous week I returned to the scene of the near demise of my Droid to get the video that had eluded me.

And that's a wrap.



Comments

Tim said…
You caught me on an off day...

This is how I'm normally dressed.
Pdog said…
That's the Tim I know!

BTW, your WAY to close to that white line where the REAL vehicles are suppose to be. I think a guy your age shouldn't be that close to fast moving traffic, your reactions aren't as fast as they once were. ;-)
Kevin Gilmore said…
That photo must've been taken before crocs came on the market. Still, a disturbing photo, Tim.

Pdog...you may be right but in an effort to avoid flats I stay as far left as I feel is safe. The further right you get the more debris there is.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss