Turning 50

Okay, I admit it, I'm having difficulty accepting that I'll soon be 50. I never experienced this when I transitioned into my other decades so why now? I think I've always associated people in their 50s with those on the other side of life. That side of life where people are more often described as crotchety than effervescent. Where they're (thankfully) less inclined to drive while using a cellphone but more likely to drive for miles with their turn signal on. If they still have a VCR it's likely blinking 12:00 and if they're online they're probably using AOL—the internet on training wheels. I don't want to be lumped in with that group.

I know that what I just wrote is totally unfair but isn't there a hint of truth to it? I'm not saying I'm hip or even cool. I'm just saying that I'm still the same person I was 10, 20 or even 30 years ago—really. As I said, I'm having a difficult time grasping this new age I'm becoming. I admire my uncle Don. We were out to see him a few years back and he was still driving the heavy traffic on the freeways in Oklahoma City. He was very active for a man in his mid-80s with no signs of slowing down although I'm sure he could tell you of a few aches and pains. I hope to age as he has.

Tammy took me to Jax Cafe' in north Minneapolis for an early birthday dinner last night. How come I didn't know about this place? What a nice restaurant. It just vaulted to the top of my list of favorite upper-end places to dine. We sat out on the patio with its incredible ambiance, right next to the trout stream. After dinner we went across town to a jazz club called the Artist's Quarter in St. Paul to listen to the music of Irv Williams. Irv's music was a bit melancholy for us so we only stayed for one set. I like my jazz a bit more jazzed. Any time we get out together for a night on the town is a nice time.

Speaking of birthdays—Toby and Allie turned 4 yesterday! I love those little guys!!

I was on my bike a couple days ago and I had what can only be described as a spiritual moment. I was coming down a hill on Hwy 45 north of Jordan. I'd never traveled this road before and wasn't sure what to expect. Without getting all weird, let me just say that the beauty of God's world stood out in ways that it often doesn't. I thought to myself that this is why I ride. It wouldn't have done any good to have my camera as it couldn't have captured the moment.

I find myself moving into a more conservative approach toward my riding; yeah, I'm getting older. There isn't any way I can ask another 9000+ miles from my body this year as I did last year and expect to keep riding into my 60s and 70s. So, I've decided that the only smart thing to do is to shoot for a number which allows me to ride with noticeably fewer aches. I think that number will be between 6500 and 7000 miles. That's still a lot of riding and allows me more time to do other stuff, like rollerblading. I'm considering getting back into blading as I always liked that workout but somehow fell out of it. I think I quit in favor of more bike time. I don't remember. Tammy isn't sure that rollerblading is such a good idea as she thinks it could aggravate my knee. She may be right. I'm still undecided.


Comments

Magalena said…
you're a pussy. what kind of guy hits a dog then sues the owners? ever hear of "shit happens?" well it does. why did your faggot ass even go to the hospital? I'm a 23 year old girl, I've been in severly worse bike accidents than that, and I didn't go to the hospital. "I fell of my bike because *I* hit a dog wah wah wah." and you're 50? when are you gonna grow some nads? I'm shocked your wife wasn't humiliated. My dad got hit dead on by a car, he was covered in blood, broke his nose and hand. Yeah, he went to the hospital but he didn't sue. I don't see what makes you think they shouldn't sue you. you hurt their dog way worse than he hurt you. be a man and just deal with shit. this the first time you've heard this?

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss