Missed Opportunity, Time Off, Celebrating 79 and Where's the Respect?

There's an old farmhouse I pass on the way to work on the southeast corner of Cedar Ave and Hwy 50. It's tucked back in off the road but it occasionally catches my eye. It's tattered and has loads character and could make for some interesting photos. It probably hasn't seen an occupant in over 30 years. Rachel mentioned a few weeks ago that she'd like to get some b&w film and shoot some pictures of it. Great idea. We talked about it again yesterday and I told her we should try and get out there this week. Tammy said she was worried that maybe it would be bulldozed if we waited too long. Not to worry, it's been there this long, it'll be there for a while longer.

I couldn't shake the feeling that Tammy was right and that we should make some definite plans to get out there more sooner than later.

I tossed my Panasonic Lumix in my truck today and set out to see what I could get of the old house. Rachel and I would come back later in the week. I had a strong urging that I needed to do it now. As I approached the house I could see in the distance a large truck with a crane. I couldn't see the house. As I got closer my heart sank when I eyed the leveled remains of what had quietly stood begging me over the years to pause for just 5 minutes and photograph it. And now it was gone. The countless opportunities I'd had left me feeling disappointed for not acting sooner—just a few hours sooner. There's a lesson to be learned.

I've been off work for nearly 3 weeks. I lost my medical when my latest phase of Cluster headaches returned. With the FAA's new work rules for Controllers, they require us to use our sick time rather than come into work and perform other duties if we're medically disqualified from working traffic. It's possible that they may have an occasional job for me to come in for but I'd rather they give that to somebody who doesn't have a bank of hours to work with as I do. I certainly don't mind being away and I'd rather not be at work when I've got as much Prednisone in me as I have as it leaves me a bit edgy and irritable. If all goes well I'll be back on the 17th.

It's been nice to be away from work. I've been getting in a good amount of riding and I was able to finish updating all the photo pages on our website. What a job that turned out to be but it's done for the most part and that's a monkey off my back.

My mother turned 79 this past weekend. Tammy and I took her out to one of our favorite places...Timber Lodge Steakhouse. We've never been disappointed with either the service or the food there. After dinner we came back to our place and spent some time at the computer showing her our website and looking through the photo pages. It was good for her to reminisce. I showed her some video from Christmas 1988 with Dad.

I don't know that she's heard his voice since he died 12 years ago. I was trying to be careful in taking the trip down memory lane with her as I didn't want to sadden her but I don't think that was the case. I felt she really enjoyed looking back on those earlier times. She kept commenting on how cute Dad was and I thought that was sweet.


Rachel had never tasted Vernors Ginger Ale before. I bought a 6 pack of the diet and she liked it. I went out and got her some of the regular stuff. We used to drink that when we'd vacation in the U.P. of Michigan when we were growing up. At the time I think that was the only place we could get it until years later when the local grocery stores began stocking it. It's got a nice little kick to it—give it a try.

I've got a stained glass project to do for one of Keith's clients. I suppose he'd be our client now as well. He wants a 24 x 30" panel done which will be mounted on a lightbox in his kitchen above the sink. He stopped by a few days ago to discuss the project and give me an idea of how he'd like it to be. I've been hesitant to get into any commission work as there typically isn't time in my week for it but since I'm off work for the next couple weeks I thought I could work it in.

This is news from a few weeks ago but I just came across this. It's an article from Urban Legends with video of Barack Obama disrespecting the American flag by refusing to place his hand over his heart during the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner in addition to his refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance. I'd watched him in an interview a while back where he was talking about not needing to wear an American flag on his lapel to show his patriotism and I agreed with him. He felt that patriotism was something more than wearing a lapel pin and better shown in other more meaningful ways. He's right. Anyway, here's the link. Judge for yourself if you think his approach is disrespectful to our flag and the men and women who have given their lives in honor and defense of it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss