Passports and I Like Turtles Too

The last passport I had expired nearly ten years ago. Tammy has never had one. We had no intention of acquiring new passports because we don't have any out of the country trips planned but a friend at work, Rob, suggested that it's still a good idea to have them should we need them, especially with Rachel's trip to Guatemala next month. Should a circumstance arise where we would need to travel to be with her we wouldn't be able to without passports.

Tammy did all the legwork of filling out the forms and gathering the necessary documents and together we went to the local CVS pharmacy to have our photos taken.

The woman at the licensing bureau who we submitted our papers to told us it would be about six weeks before we'd receive them. She suggested we could pay an additional (I think) $60 each to have them expedited but we declined and decided to take our chances instead. I was surprised when they arrived in the mail less than two weeks later.

I was mowing the lawn the other day when my cellphone began to vibrate in my pocket. I shut the mower down and answered it. Reid, a friend from work, was killing time at an airport in CA and wanted to tell me about a video he'd seen on YouTube. He was sure it was my kind of humor and that I must see it. I decided it was a good time for a break so I went inside and typed "i like turtles" into the search box on YouTube as he suggested.

I'd seen the video before but I couldn't recall where. Tim thinks he posted it in the comments section of my blog not too long ago. He may be right. Anyway, who am I to disagree with nearly 6,000,000 viewers? The kid's comment in the video is one of the more random things you're likely to hear somebody say but there's a part of me that agrees with the little zombie guy. You see, I like turtles, too.

I've always been a sucker for getting off my bike and helping a turtle out of a certain-death situation. A couple weeks ago I was coming into Prior Lake from the east on a busy highway when I came across a migrating turtle. It was small enough that I could carry it with me on my bike. I relocated it a mile up the road in a pond; not the most ideal spot but it was the best I could do at the time.

I've seen more dead turtles on the highway this year than I have in years past, especially the large 10-12 inch snappers. I have no idea why.

This video below is from two weeks ago. I was going to use it as part of a blog about all the dead turtles I'm seeing on the highway but the idea seemed a bit lame so I shelved it. Anyway, thanks to Reid for the unintentional prompt.

So yeah, I sort of relate to the little zombie guy. I suppose you shouldn't be surprised if you someday ask me how I'm doing and without hesitation I reply with "I like turtles", because I do and I'm sure they like me too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss