A Small World and a Shawn Mullins Evening

I received a Facebook friend request Sunday night along with a short message:

"Last night, my niece and I were going to try making lefse for the first time. (I inherited my moms lefse making equipment, but had never made lefse with her). Since we didn't really know what we were doing, I sent Ashley to the computer to find us a YouTube video to watch. She found one and we watched it. When we were finished, I checked to see who made it. Low and behold, it was your lefse making video. There are scores of lefse making videos out there, and we watched the one made by the guy across the street. How funny is that!

Jenny"


It sure can be a small world at times! Here's the video Jenny was referring to.

I've been battling a sinus infection for weeks. I finally broke down yesterday and went in to be seen and walked away with a prescription for Amoxicillin. I'm happy to finally be on the mend. This thing has been kicking my butt the past week.

I'm sitting here on a Saturday night tapping out some words for my blog while paying minimal attention to the TV with its nonstop 50th-anniversary programming of the JFK assassination. I was in the 1st grade and have some distinct memories of the tragedy but nothing deep. There was no profound sadness on my part because as a 6-year old I don't think I really understood death. I recall being on the bus on the way home from school and listening to one of the other kids talk about how President Kennedy was going to get a 21-gun salute. I don't know that I understood what that meant but it sounded cool. I remember sitting in front of the TV and watching coverage presented by a black news reporter. Keith, being only 3 commented, "that man has a dirty face." Why I remember that I have no idea. It's strange the things that remain with us over the years. Of all of the thoughts I come away with after watching the coverage I'm left thinking of his wife, Jackie, and the strength she showed that day and afterward. Just amazing.

I've spent many hours over the last few afternoons stringing outdoor Christmas lights—or "winter lights" as I refer to them to a friend who frowns on our obsession with Christmas. I really do think Jesus would not be happy to have his arbitrary birthday celebrated in such a materialistic way with our frenzied shopping for and giving of gits.

Our neighbors behind us moved away today to a larger home in Lakeville. When John and Melissa moved here some 7 years or more ago it was just the two of them, but now they've become so much more with Grayson, Haley, Ila, and Kariss (sp). I was outside yesterday when Haley came running up to me..."Mr. Kevin...Mr. Kevin!! ...we're moving tomorrow!!" They're all so adorable! I'll miss their "Mr. Kevin" greetings. They're such good kids.

Tammy and I went to see Shawn Mullins at the Dakota Jazz Club in Minneapolis on Wednesday night. What a fun time we had! Patty Larkin was the opening act and although I was unfamiliar with her music, a couple of her songs I liked right away.

Patty played for an hour before giving way to Shawn.

I have to say that had Shawn walked up to me to bum a smoke I'd have not recognized him at all. He looks like the most unlikely recording artist—at least at that moment when he first took the stage. After watching him, though, for just a few minutes, you can't help but become a big believer! His voice is so rich and his words draw you in and paint an image that takes you on a journey for the length of the song. Tammy was so happy to be there, too. She's the one that turned me on to his music when we first met.

Our seats were just off to the left of the stage and a little too close for sneaking a video or two. I spied an empty seat at a table in the balcony and gave Tammy a wink as I left to go capture a few songs with my camera. She understands this thing I do.

We couldn't have been happier with the show and the night! I wanna go again!





Comments

Unknown said…
Aren't those the neighbors that Tammie created the fairy garden in the backyard for?
Mona
Kevin Gilmore said…
Hi Mona,

Yes, that's them. Some of the best neighbors we've had or could hope for. We were looking forward to watching their kids grow so we were saddened to learn that they were moving. We'll miss them.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss