Me? 60? It Can't be! But It is And I Am!

And just like that, another decade races past! I struggled more than ever when faced with turning 50. There was something about that number that was unsettling to me and it took me a while to come to terms with it. Funnily enough, I'm not feeling the same sort of concern about having just turned 60. I'm embracing this new decade! After all, 60 is the new 40, right?

Rachel bought me a fun gift for the garage—my own parking spot saver! It's perfect! A closer look. The USS Fresno was the ship I served on when I was in the Navy in the mid to late '70s.

And Rachel celebrated another birthday as well. She turned 26 on Thursday. Drew hosted a party for her at his home in Rochester and it was such a nice time! Well done, Drew!

I attended my 2nd annual Red Eye Open golf tournament this past week at Fountain Valley Golf Course in Farmington. It's a tournament for retired controllers. I didn't play as well as I'd hoped to but I had a lot of fun. I'd like to have hung around and visited with the group of guys but I had to head out as soon as we finished to get ready to drive into St. Paul with Tammy, Bob and Karen to see a Minnesota Lynx game at Target Center. It was a busy but fun-filled day. The Lynx easily won! I only wish we could've said the same about our group investment in lottery tickets after the game. We were big losers!

After close to two months of torn-up roads in our neighborhood, we've got asphalt down on the streets again, but some of it is going to have to be torn out and redone. They're having a difficult time getting the road to pass the compression test across the street in front of our home. They laid asphalt down and I could tell right away that there was no way it was going to hold. The road was squishy underneath it. There were cracks and lumps in the pavement the next morning. I spoke with the project manager and she said they're going to try and install some drain-tile to minimize the deleterious effect moisture is having on the area. She was quite certain the new asphalt would fail but the forecast was calling for a significant amount of rain and they wanted to cap off the road with tar to minimize any additional moisture issues, and so that's why they proceeded even with the understanding that the road wasn't quite ready.

Hate speech has reared its ugly head in Lakeville—at Crystal Lake Golf Course where I do most of my golfing. Someone carved a swastika into the #2 green a few nights ago. The grounds crew quickly repaired the damage. I would guess it was the work of some misguided youth but it's still troubling. There's a segment of our population that has been emboldened recently to act out in this way and there's no doubt in my mind where the fuel for this is coming from. Trump*, and his embracing of the "alt-right".  You're free to disagree but then I'm curious to know what you think the catalyst for this sort of thing is? Here's a related article.

We made it out to the fair for my birthday. We didn't get there until around 2:00 in the afternoon and parking was about impossible to find. We ended up driving 5 miles north of the fairgrounds to a park-and-ride to catch a bus to the fair. We had such a nice time walking the grounds and hitting the spots that we enjoy most. I'm tempted to go again but I think once is probably enough. It's nice to leave there wanting for a little more. We'll be back next year!

I'm such a geek. Here's a link to our travels at the fair. Take your cursor along the bottom elevation view and move it from left to right to see how we navigated the crowds. We got out of there for less than $100. I'd say we did pretty well!

Edit: Thanks, Erin for pointing out that my math was wrong. We actually spent $108.50.

I was mildly amused by this painting in the Fine Arts Center. It can be yours for the low price of $37,000.00!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss