I Like Turtles

I was walking Charlie the other day when we came across a memorial to a recently departed pup along our route. I never knew his name until seeing his memorial but he was Toby's favorite of any of the pups we'd routinely encounter. Toby would get up next to the fence and survey the yard for Snoop, and if he was out, Snoop would come by and mark a few spots along the fence while our pups would respond in kind. It was sad to learn that Snoop had died.

We've been trying to get to the dog park nightly with Charlie. He enjoys his time there as do we. It's great socializing for all involved—pups and their owners. This little guy had us all laughing! He would take his tennis ball and bring it over to various people for them to throw it for him. If they didn't notice him at their feet or if they weren't fast enough, he'd bark to hurry them along. He was so funny to watch.

I went out for a longish walk on Father's Day on a route I hadn't taken in maybe two years. I noticed a snapping turtle laying eggs next to the bike/walking path of a busy highway. I quickly took a photo, trying not to disturb her then continued on my walk while saying a small prayer for her and her offspring. It's what I do. There's more to the story.

I walked by Mom and Tim's old townhome and noticed it was for sale. I stopped and chatted with some neighbors who were sitting at a picnic table in their garage kitty-corner to my mom's old home—neighbors I'd known through Tim. They said the home sold in only three days. We talked a little about Tim and my mom. Berta commented that Tim was the nicest guy. Duane mentioned my brother Keith and how they used to shoot pool together for years on Wednesday nights but that was many years ago. Berta then commented that she was diagnosed with melanoma cancer two and a half years ago and that they've stopped treatment. It's hard to know what to say to someone when they tell you that, other than, "I'm so sorry".

It was three years ago yesterday that we learned Tim had died from colon cancer. It was such a sad, unreal scene. I have to admit; the thought crosses my mind rather regularly about if and when it will be my turn to face this most difficult news.

My trusty GoPro Hero 4 became not so trustworthy. It was shutting down for no apparent reason and I could no longer depend on it to capture ride video. I've had my eye on a GoPro Hero 7 Black for a while with its built-in stabilization feature, so with a few hours of research (to make sure this was the camera for me), I purchased one. I tried it for the first time on last Tuesday's TNG ride with the guys out of Northfield. I couldn't have been more impressed with it. (See video embedded below.)

The battery life is only a little more than half of my previous GoPro and I'm quite sure that's due to the amount of processing that's happening within the camera while it records. I get around an hour and fifteen minutes of recording time with it vs. a little less than two hours with my previous model. I don't mind. With my Hero 4, I would always have to smooth the video with my iMovie editor to try and eliminate whatever shakiness I could but with my Hero 7, I don't have to touch it. It renders itself smoother than anything iMovie could do for my old camera. It's very impressive! I don't know how well it will work on the singletrack trails at Murphy but I hope to give it a try later this week and find out.

That's all I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss