Gone Vegan, Designer's Block, and Pandemic Talk

Tammy and I have gone vegan—sort of. We've been attempting to go without meat and fish for the past five weeks with good success. I've said from the outset that I would be happy if I was maybe 80% in adherence to the diet but so far I'm closer to 95%. We're still trying to figure out what works for us as we've had our share of failed experiences with some different plant-based meat substitutes. It's important to not let those bad experiences dissuade us from pressing on and finding enough alternatives that work for us. I think we're doing pretty well.

I unexpectedly took an extended break from my glass studio while piddling around with some other alternative style designs, mostly Art Nouveau, but mostly I was experiencing a designer-block of sorts. I was able to come up with several designs (an example) but nothing fully fleshed out. I switched gears and settled on this design instead. I liken it to a modest Japanese style contemporary home. Here's a link to it on my Etsy site. I may try and do another before moving on.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that we have a President who lies as easily as he breathes. And that's especially troubling when we have (what is likely to be) a national emergency unfolding in the form of a pandemic-like flu outbreak that's spreading across the globe and threatens to disrupt/take the lives of many. We need an administration that's more concerned with the health of the public rather than the investments of those playing the markets. It appears we have the latter. It's unconscionable to me that Trump's* administration has spent the past three years making irresponsible cuts to agencies that are tasked with overseeing research vital to the health of not only our country but the world at large. I don't believe a word this administration says about our current situation with respect to the Covid-19 virus—how can anyone? But not only that; they're muzzling those non-partisan voices who would dare to speak candidly about what they know. Sound familiar?

Rachel turned Tammy and me on to a recently released 6-part series on Netflix titled Pandemic. It profiles the work of many on the frontlines who are working tirelessly to identify and thwart the next pandemic that many think we're overdue to face. It's fascinating, disturbing, and timely. Do check it out if you have a way to stream it.



I've had such a good run of outdoor riding this winter—the best I've had since I began fat-biking eight years ago. The trails are an icy, rutted mess now after last weekend's warm weather so I'm avoiding them until we get some fresh snow that I'm confident will come. I've spent so little time on my indoor trainer, and while I do enjoy riding it, I'm happier outdoors.

This is some video from last Friday's ride.

That's all I've got.



Comments

Andrea Charles said…
I have recently started with a vegan diet. It is not quite easy. Kevin, can you please share your meal plan? Do you take any supplements?. All the best for your vegan journey. Thanks for your useful blog.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss