Happy 17th and Let's Get This Party Started!

My blog turned 17 years old this month and although I write to it with only half the frequency I once did, it still holds an important place in my life. Oftentimes I'm simply writing superficially about my life and my experiences along the way, posting videos of my rides and such for a later time when I revisit these pages years or decades from now, God willing.
journals
Other times, it's where I go to sort through my thoughts as I try and understand our world. It's here, in these online pages, where much of my growth as a person occurs. I own the words I write here and because I do, I actually ponder them before publishing them. 

I kept a daily journal for the last 3 years of my 4-year enlistment in the Navy in the mid to late '70s. The journals were Christmas gifts from my mother. How could she have known that this was something I'd run with? When online blogging came on the scene (more than 20 years later), it seemed like a natural fit for me.

The personal growth I'm speaking of has mostly to do with trying to see the world through the eyes of others, usually those less fortunate or those who have been marginalized. It's been an ongoing thing with me for the better part of a dozen years, helping me to see beyond my many privileges. I'm a work in progress. Try as I might, though, I am unable to see the world through the eyes of our president, nor do I care to because there's something desperately wrong there, something not in need of my compassion or understanding.

COVID cases in the US are on the rise with still no national plan other than to say "we're rounding a corner" or whatever lie comes to Trump in the moment when he speaks of the deadly virus. It's frustrating to see him back out campaigning after his recovery from the illness, packing in large gatherings of people, most of whom are maskless with no social distancing. These are incredibly stupid and gullible people. I don't know how else to describe them, and because of their ignorance and self-centeredness, we're going to continue to be unable to squash this thing. 

Last Friday I was on the links by myself when I caught up with two guys who were waiting on the group ahead of them. They asked if I'd like to join them. I recognized one of the guys, Tom, from having golfed with him a few years ago. I recalled how Tom drove for Uber in the mornings and golfed in the afternoons. With a few holes left to play, I asked Tom if he still drove for Uber. "3 to 4 hours every morning, Monday through Friday" he replied. I inquired about COVID and how he viewed the risk to himself (Tom is in his late 70s). He surprised me, saying, "COVID is a hoax—it's nothing to worry about." He told me how he doesn't require his passengers to wear a mask and if it's okay with them, neither does he. Jeff, the other golfer with us chimed in, offering, "There have only been 9000 cases of the virus actually resulting in death—less than seasonal flu." My heart sank a little. Here I was with these two nice people yet they've bought into the propaganda and I knew that no amount of reasoning with them was going to matter. They spoke with such conviction. I quietly finished the last few holes before giving them my best. 

I don't see how we ever get a handle on the virus with this mentality permeating through nearly half our population, especially when we have a president who encourages it. These are troubling times. 

I drove two hours southeast to Winona last Wednesday morning to meet Steve at The Bridges, my favorite course to play. The winds were still howling as they'd been for the previous week (at least) but we enjoyed ourselves. Not that the game isn't challenging enough but I really don't mind playing in the wind. It adds another element to the game that causes me to have to focus all the more, and that's not a bad thing. My favorite hole is the par 5, 11th. It's the most beautiful golf hole I've ever played. Your 2nd shot is guarded by two large oak trees on the left and a forest on the right. Here's looking from the tee. You can see the flag in the middle of the photo off in the distance. And here's the view from about 350 yards out. Isn't that a pretty fairway? We were about 10 days too late for peak autumn color but the setting there is still beautiful. Here's a collection of photos I took during our round. 

With 4 to 5 inches (10 to 13 cm) of snow expected tomorrow and unseasonably cold temps throughout the long-range forecast, I think I'll be putting my clubs away until spring. I'm okay with that—I managed to play 52 rounds this year. That may be a record for me. 🥂

I need new studded meats for my fatty and I'll be good-to-to for the fun of winter. I think that's tomorrow's project. I say let's get this party started!

That's all I've got.

Comments

John A Hill said…
I've enjoyed reading your blog since around '07 or so. Someday I'll show up on the motorcycle and buy you a beer!
Kevin Gilmore said…
Thanks, my friend. We've both been at this a while now. I enjoy your posts as well. I'll take you up on that beer! 🍻

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss