Weekend Road-Tripping and Norm's Memorial Service

I can't recall a more oppressively hot and humid summer in my nearly 64 years than what we've been experiencing this summer. But there's hope in sight! We'll only be in the 80ºs by Thursday when we ditch these 90º+ days we've been contending with. Our air conditioner never feels better than when I come home from being out on a ride. I'm also learning to love cool (bordering on cold) showers! 

When I had our home built in 1992, my brother installed a state-of-the-art security system that still serves us well today. I don't actually worry all that much about people breaking into our home but we've added another layer of security in the form of wireless Eufy security cameras that are set up to monitor all of the entrances to our home. With the help of a neighbor who works for a tech company, we were able to get them at a very reasonable price. They're also a source of good fun for our neighbors to prank us while we're away, such as this past weekend. 🤣

The night vision wasn't able to pick up on what the signs said so for those who may be curious, here you go! We have the best neighbors! 

Tammy drove up to Babbitt last weekend to visit with her sister Cindy. They had planned to attend the Blueberry Festival in Ely but a severe storm came through Friday night and totally trashed the many booths of the participants in the event. The festival had to be canceled due to a loss of power and fallen trees and limbs that made it dangerous to continue with the annual event. Here's a short news article about it.

I was also away from home last weekend, attending a memorial service for my uncle Norm who died of complications from the Covid-19 virus nearly one year ago. This was our first chance to all safely gather and pay tribute to him. It was nice to see family and relatives I'd not seen in years. Michigan's Upper Peninsula has a special place in my heart and in my memories from our many vacations there when I was growing up. (Credit to Tracee for the photo of Bern and me.)

I waited out some passing storms Saturday morning before getting on my bike and riding a 91 mile (146 km) loop I'd plotted out that included Military Hill. Military Hill is a landmark section of highway that always has me in awe whenever I drive it, or in this case, ride it. I included a little of it in the video below but the video can't nearly capture the real beauty of it.

I made it out to Wayandotte Hills (now called Omer's Golf Course, Bar, Restaurant & Cabins — I much prefer the name Wayandotte Hills) Sunday evening for two rounds of the 9-hole golf course that I used to love to play as a boy, and still do as an adult. I have so many good memories from my time spent there, with my favorite memory being the time my dad hooked his tee shot into the woods from the 5th tee. After the penalty stroke, he played his 3rd shot from the fairway a little more than 200 yards away from the pin with his 2W (a rare club these days). We looked and looked for his ball but couldn't find it — until one of us sank our putt and found his ball in the bottom of the cup. I'll never forget that! 

Here are a few photos from my weekend. 

That's all I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss