Hip Hip Hurray and So Long, Good Friend

Tammy went in for her 2nd hip replacement surgery on Wednesday. She had her left hip done a few years ago and now her right hip was in need of attention. It was past time, actually. She's been in so much pain from a bone spur in her hip which her doctor confirmed was clearly the source of her pain. I'm happy for her that the surgery is over and was successful. She's doing really well, too, aside from the expected toll the procedure has taken on her body. She's still on pain meds but is slowly trying to ween herself off them. She's mostly in bed but she gets up a few times a day to walk with her walker around our main level. The doctor wants her to do 6 minutes of walking with each session. I was talking with a friend last night who knows a few people who have had the surgery and all of them say they wish they hadn't waited so long to have it done. I'm sure Tammy will be echoing that sentiment.

Rachel and I were back at Hyland Greens last week for 9 holes of golf. Hyland Greens is an executive course (short in length) and is ideal for her as she begins to learn the game. Her interest in golf is a pleasant surprise to me. I've told her that I'd like to purchase her a package of golf lessons. They will go a long way toward getting her started in the right direction so she'll have more fun out on the links. 

After golf, we drove to Flander's Bros Cycles in South Minneapolis where I was having some work done on my 16-year-old Serotta road bike. Rachel and I were browsing the shop when Adrian approached me and asked if I was in the market for a new bike. I told him no, that I was content to get another 10 years out of my current ride. He brought me back for a closer look at my bike to show me a small but deadly crack in my bike's frame just aft of the bottom bracket along the right chainstay. It's not something that can be fixed, or safely ridden. My heart sank a little. I've got 54,000 miles (87,000 km) on this bike and to have our time together come to such an abrupt end was sad. The only thing positive in that moment was that I'd had a really fun ride on it the day before, riding a favorite route of mine from a dozen years ago—my Monday Morning Loop; a ride I used to do before the afternoon shift at work. I remember finishing the ride and thinking to myself: "that was fun!" It was fitting that this would be our last romp together even though I didn't know it at the time.

Adrian showed me some of what they had on the floor. (Serotta closed its doors 9 years ago so I'll be looking to another manufacturer of quality bikes.) TIME will likely get the nod from me. It's what Flanders has been selling for the past several years or more. The reviews of TIME bikes put them toward the top. I'm clearly not worthy but I won't let that stop me from owning one. Here's a review of the TIME Alpe D'Huez 01. I'll be looking to purchase the Alpe D'Huez 21 with a slightly less expensive carbon fiber weave but very much all the bike I will ever need. The "21" in the name refers to the number of switchbacks on the climb up the iconic Alpe D'Huez which is often featured in Le Tour de France bike race. I hope to be talking with Adrian more in the next couple of weeks to get the ball rolling on my new ride. 

Steve and I made our annual journey to The Bridges Golf Course in Winona on Tuesday. The course was in great shape and made the 4-hour roundtrip well worth the drive. It's my favorite course to play.

A slight pause in my writing while I walk Charlie and gather up some leaves in the yard. 

I'm back.


Have I mentioned that we have the best neighbors? Well, we do. Thanks so much, Katie!

That's all I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss