A Tragic Loss

I received a phone call from my sister-in-law two weeks ago this morning. Tracee was sobbing heavily but I could make out that she had some terrible news to tell me. For a moment, I imagined that my brother Keith had passed away and she was letting me know. It wasn't that. Their grandson Madden had died the night before after a fall off his bike. I didn't press her for details and we soon ended the call. I was so stunned by what I'd just heard. Madden had just turned 13 and he meant the world to Keith and Tracee as well as to his mother and father and so many others who were part of his life. Madden's life cut so short is nothing less than a tragic loss.

Here's a news report from one of our local stations.

I didn't know Madden well but I was able to spend time on the golf course with him last summer and fall with Joe (his father) and Keith. He was an exceptional golfer for his age, that was clear, but he also had a talent for basketball and football. 

I feel terrible for those close to him. He was as loved as any young person could hope to be. It's hard, if not impossible, to find any kind of silver lining to this that could help comfort those grieving his loss. Keith came closest when he told me that he had 13 wonderful years with him and that he was grateful for having had him in his life. 

Here's a link to Madden's funeral service. There were an estimated 800 people in attendance (an overflow of people) with more who couldn't attend due to a lack of parking. I've queued it to start with the eulogies. Joe beautifully eulogized his son with a mix of tears and laughter. My heart goes out to them all.

  


Comments

John A Hill said…
I am so sorry, my friend.
kiddlehoper said…
Kevin - it is so disappointing when an incident like that happens - been down that road and recently had a great granddaughter leave this world early - only 12 days old
Peace my friend
Kevin Gilmore said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you. Be well.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited