Please, Make it Make Sense

After today our snow will be nearly gone as our mild winter continues. My phone's WeatherBug app shows us to be well above freezing for daytime high temps for the 10-day outlook. Even the nighttime lows are at or above freezing, all thanks to El Niño. This ocean temperature phenomenon typically results in warmer and dryer than normal conditions for the Upper Midwest, which is exactly what we've been experiencing. 

Charlie would've loved this mild weather for our walks together. I'm still missing my little buddy and think about him often. 

I was hoping to be seeking out some gravel roads to ride today but I've been sidelined until at least Friday after a procedure yesterday to drain a rather large cyst on my right knee. The cyst developed two weeks ago after pushing myself too hard on my indoor trainer with some climbing challenges I participated in on the Rouvy online platform I use for indoor riding. I should have eased back into training after my Covid infection but instead, I was trying to make up for lost time. That never ends well for me. I need to be careful how I go about resuming my riding because the physician assistant who aspirated my knee told me there's a 40% chance the condition could reoccur and require surgery. I'd like to avoid that. I've got stained glass projects to work on so I'll stay busy but I'd much rather be outside. It's where I thrive.

Speaking of stained glass, I've been immersing myself in glass projects down in my basement studio for the past month and enjoying my time working the craft again while watching Dateline and 20/20 murder mysteries along with my YouTube feed's assortment of videos. They're good company.

I had such little motivation to work on stained glass projects last winter. I knew Charlie was in his last year of life and it never sat well with me to squirrel myself away from him in our basement while I was home. I tried bringing him downstairs with me but he preferred to be upstairs where he was more comfortable. I'm glad I put my glass projects on hold as I did. 

I've yet to come up with a design for our master bathroom windows and unless I come up with one soon, they're going to have to wait another year until next winter. That's in addition to the mission-style panels I have planned for above our kitchen cabinets. For now, I'm content to make sun-catchers.🤷🏽‍♂️

A disturbing statistic reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association last week stated that "In the 14 states that implemented total abortion bans following the Dobbs decision, we estimated that 519, 981 completed rapes were associated with 64, 565 pregnancies during the 4 to 18 months that bans were in effect (Table 2). Of these, an estimated 5,586 rape-related pregnancies (9%) occurred in states with rape exceptions, and 58, 979 (91%) in states with no exception, with 26, 313 (45%) in Texas." 

How many of those were children?

The disturbing aspect in all of this is that an adjudicated rapist, a man who bragged about sexually assaulting women, was responsible for appointing 3 SCOTUS justices who paved the way for overturning Roe v. Wade. But not only that, there are two justices, Thomas and Kavanaugh, who have been credibly accused of sexual assault. And yet, this is what conservative Christians are happy to support. Please, make it make sense. 

Jurors in E. Jean Carroll's defamation lawsuit against Trump where she won an $83,300,000 judgment against him were instructed by Judge Kaplan to "never disclose that you were on this jury" out of concern for their safety from expected threats to their lives by Trump's supporters—you know—conservative Christians. Again, please, make it make sense.

This is what it means to be a conservative Christian in conservative America today: ignore what the Bible tells you about welcoming the stranger, or those desperate and in need. No, fuck that nonsense. Let them drown! 

That's Texas pro-life in action.

And this.

No, there's no making sense of any of it.

That's all I've got. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss