Friday, June 19, 2015

Meet the Shaman!

Maria, Norm and Eva (my mother's sisters and brother-in-law) came into town last week to see Mom. It was nice to spend a couple of hours with them at Keith and Tracee's home. I think Mom did her best to be there in the moment with them but she's really not well. Between the C-Diff and her medications there are a very limited number of hours in the day where she is okay to have visitors. Mostly she's exhausted but often times she's confused. Sometimes I want them to stop treating her and just let her leave this life as comfortably as she can. But then there are times when I feel more optimistic for her and see her overcoming the C-Diff and bouncing back close to where she was before this all began nearly 5 weeks ago. The longer this continues, the more I feel it's both wishful thinking and selfish on my part. It's a very difficult time for her.

Tammy and her mother and I went to see her earlier in the week. We're still required to wear a protective robe when we're in her room and we're supposed to refrain from any physical contact. That didn't stop Tammy from trying to position her more comfortably in her bed.

I said so-long to my Mukluk after 3.5 years together. I sold it to Reid last week but not before giving it one last bath. It was a great bike for me and one that introduced me to a whole other world of riding. I'll never forget the first time I ventured down along the Minnesota River bottom trails with it and the smile on my face as I soaked in the scenery. I'll miss my friend but I've been itching to get something a little lighter and with front suspension.

I'm now the happy owner of a Sarma Shaman!

It's a carbon-fiber frame manufactured in Russia. Being that it's from Russia did cause me some hesitation but the reviews I read about it were all very good. Carbon-fiber rims, seatpost and bars along with a Rockshox Bluto front suspension fork bring it in at an impressive 27.6 lbs. My Mukluk was 34.4. It doesn't sound like a lot but 7 lbs actually does make a noticeable difference, and one that my knees will appreciate.

I took it out for its maiden ride this morning before work. I felt like I was flying out there on the trails in some spots. I had to tone it down a little because the grasses are so tall that it's hard to see what's coming up the trail especially around some of the sharper curves. I had a blast and I was still on a high when I got to work 90 minutes later. It's really everything I was hoping it would be.

I made it out Tuesday for a fun 97 mile effort into Wisconsin on a route I hadn't done in the last couple of years. It's one of my favorite routes but I typically like to go into the wind on the way out so I have it at my back when I turn for home and an east wind typically brings rainy weather with it. Not on this day. It was a gorgeous day to be out on the bike!

Come and see what I mean...

No comments: