The Lure of Warmer Weather, and Mueller's Report

I've been distracted with some outdoor stuff lately so my stained glass hobby has climbed into the backseat—for how long I don't know. I was hoping to craft at least a few more sun-catchers before I close up shop until next winter but the lure of being outdoors is quite strong now.

Yes, I've been getting out for some rides and some walks. It's been nice to feel the sun on my face again. I had my first ride on my gravel bike on Saturday. I did a 54 mile (87 km) loop out beyond Jordan. The ride was mostly just to get a feel for my bike and to dial in my position on it. I was able to find some gravel along the way so that was a bonus. It's a fun bike and will easily rival my fat-bike in that department.

Why a gravel bike? Well, it opens up more choices for riding. It's difficult to ride my road bike on gravel so now I can venture down roads I might otherwise avoid for fear of the pavement turning to gravel. I could use my fat-bike for gravel but it's not going to be as fast because the tires are much wider and the bike is considerably heavier than my gravel bike—33 lbs vs. 20 lbs (15 kg vs. 9 kg). But more important than anything—there's also a lot less traffic on dirt roads and less traffic means fewer distracted drivers. I've embedded a video of my ride at the end of this post.

Tammy got a call yesterday from the nursing home where her mother is a resident. They wanted to know if she would like to have her placed in hospice care. Tammy recently commented to me that her mother is slipping away more noticeably than before. Hospice care wasn't something we asked for; they offered it. It will allow her to have more personalized attention in the way of people coming in and spending time with her. Sometimes it means someone sitting by her and playing guitar while softly singing or maybe a hand massage or head massage. Tammy was grateful for the offer. She spends quite a lot of time there each week but it's never enough for her. We can't say enough good things about Trinity Care in Farmington where she resides. They're all and more than we could have ever hoped for her mother.

Robert Mueller submitted his long-awaited report about his investigation into Trump's* possible collusion/conspiracy with Russian operatives to affect the 2016 election and the investigation into his possible obstruction of justice. He submitted the report to Trump's* Attorney General William Barr on Friday. On Sunday Barr released a very abbreviated synopsis of Mueller's findings. Trump* claimed total exoneration while the report said nothing of the sort. No surprise there. The report found that there wasn't enough evidence to prove a case of collusion/conspiracy but with respect to obstruction of justice, Mueller didn't come to a conclusion. Barr is on record as saying it's impossible for a president to obstruct justice so he's giving Trump* a pass. In a situation such as that, the only logical next step would be to send the report to Congress for them to consider. That didn't happen and it won't. Barr was handpicked just for this very reason.

Conservative media was giddy with proclamations that Trump* was right, that this was all a witch hunt, that there was no evidence or proof that he colluded or conspired, all without having read the report. I saw a tweet tonight where someone was wondering about Kenneth Starr's report on the Clintons and Whitewater—what if Starr had submitted his report to Janet Reno (Clinton's AG) and she, in turn, gave only a very brief synopsis of Starr's findings? How would Republicans have responded? I'm certain they'd have been outraged, and rightly so.

I came across a most interesting thread on Twitter tonight. It details what it takes to both reach a level of proof for an indictment and what is needed to find a person guilty. I found it fascinating reading. It's 50 tweets in total so be sure to expand the link to show all 50. The tweets are numbered 1-50. To avoid becoming distracted, ignore any not by Seth Abramson and just read through his. Here's the link.

That's all I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss