Shifting My Focus

I'm done with my burst of prednisone and the pain in my leg that I was taking it for. Honestly, I think I could've done without the drug. I'm quite sure the pain would've gone away on its own. I was only on it for one week but it was enough to shut down my adrenal gland, where cortisol is produced. I finished an indoor training ride on Tuesday and commented in my notes about the ride that my heart rate was much higher than it usually is for the level of watts I was putting out. Happily, Thursday night's ride assured me that my adrenal gland was getting back up to speed as I compared my heart rate and watts. They were much more in the range of where I'm used to seeing them. I figure it took 5 days for my adrenal gland to begin producing cortisol again.

I spent some time yesterday transferring the seat and handlebar settings on my road bike over to my gravel bike. They're not exact (nor should they be) but I think I've got the settings pretty close to where I need them. I'll fine-tune the adjustments once I'm out on the road which shouldn't be too much longer. We lost a good amount of our snowpack this week but there's still a considerable amount left to melt. I hope to have my gravel bike out for the first time in the next two weeks. I get excited thinking about it. I also had my golf clubs regripped. Bring on the warm weather!

I'm still spending time down in my studio working on stained glass pieces for my Etsy shop. I recently finished this one. Etsy won't allow users to include video with their uploads but Instagram will so I included this short video in my upload to Instagram to show my work in a way I haven't in the past. I plan to start doing more of this. I think my studio time will soon be winding down until next winter but I hope to put out a few more pieces in the next two weeks.

I took Toby and Charlie out for a late afternoon walk today. It was our first walk in close to two months. I shouldn't be surprised that Toby wanted to run part of the way. He's such a love.

Rachel is traveling back from Big Sky, Montana where she spent the week skiing with Drew and his family. Their plans were altered by a major snowstorm on the way out but they're on schedule to arrive home tomorrow after staying overnight in Box Elder, South Dakota, just east of Rapid City. I'm looking forward to seeing the video she captured, and yes, I mentioned to her that her GoPro was angled a little skyward. The photo to the left is hers as well. We call that a "Bryan photo"—a reference to my brother and his exceptional photography skills.

I watched American Idol last Sunday night, something I haven't done in several years. I'm always impressed by those who can stand up in front of the cameras or a group of people and perform because that's just not me, and never will be—perhaps in my next life. There were several notable singers but one, in particular, stood out for me. Jeremiah is a minister's son who works as a janitor in his father's church. And he's gay. I listened to his story and then I watched him perform a song he wrote. I listened to the words he was singing and my eyes welled up with tears. He's such a beautiful person who has so much to offer this world but his family can't get over his sexuality and embrace him for who he is. Watch the video below. I'd be proud to call him my son, or brother, or friend.

That's all I've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss